Endive is a really tasty and versatile vegetable, that we use a lot in French cuisine.
To celebrate it I thought that I should share with you one of my favourite salad recipe (it is so straightforward that I am not really sure that this qualifies as a proper recipe but it is soooo delicious that it is well worth sharing!): la salade d’endives -endive salad-.
It is a really crunchy salad, with a subtle taste, which works wonderfully with walnuts (in pieces or walnut oil – see recipe) and allows powerful combinations such as blue cheese and pears… I personally usually eat mine as a side with walnut oil as part of the dressing… miammm…
My husband and I love salad. I eat it mostly as a side for lunch and, as I explained in my mum’s vinaigrette dressing post, in France, a bowl of green salad may well be provided at every meal. At home, our little ones are into raw carrots, cucumbers… but only slowly starting lettuce, raw chicory… one step at a time 🙂
Fancy getting Croque-Maman latest updates directly delivered to your inbox? Simply enter your e-mail address below and click subscribe!
- - 4 medium endives, washed and chopped (stalk removed)
- - Vinaigrette dressing (using walnut oil instead of olive oil)
- - Optional: pieces of walnut, crumbles of blue cheese, pieces of pear
- Make your vinaigrette in a large bowl.
- Poor over the chopped endives and all the other optional ingredients (walnut, blue cheese, pear).
- Combine everything just before serving.
PPS: If you feel inspired by endives check out this other recipe on my blog: Endives au jambon – Ham wrapped endives gratin –.