Welcome to Croque-Maman! As a first post on this blog I really wanted to share with you a recipe that captures the essence of Croque-Maman: a quick and easy family recipe that you cook for/with children whatever their age and which makes them feel warm and welcome home.
The gâteau au yaourt is the most popular French family cake. It is so easy and fast to make that this is the first cake French children learn how to bake. I personally remember having been taught how to bake it at primary school! I was so proud, my first cake! It is tender and moist and mostly eaten as a goûter (French 4pm snack) or for breakfast. Its specificity is a single pot of yoghurt, which you keep to measure up the other ingredients and the recipe is pretty much as easy as counting from 1 to 4! Come on give it a try! It will only take you 5 minutes!
Fancy getting Croque-Maman latest updates directly delivered to your inbox? Simply enter your e-mail address below and click subscribe!
If you want to bake a gâteau au yaourt with your children, please find below a little visual to make things easier…
… together with the full adult recipe card:
- • 4 eggs
- • 1 single plain yoghurt pot (150g)
- • ½ pot of sunflower oil
- • 2 pots of sugar
- • 3 pots of self-rising flour
- • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- Whisk the eggs. Gently mix in the other ingredients in the following order: yoghurt, oil, sugar, flour and finally the vanilla extract.
- Pour in the mould and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a cake-tester/knife comes out clean.
- The variations to this recipe are endless and you can as such really easily create your own version of it. I personally love adding a hint of vanilla to the recipe but you can as well use orange blossom water, a flavoured yoghurt, lemon zest and juice … or even chocolate chips 🙂