I just love edible gifts and especially when they are handmade. These days with all of us running around like crazy, it feels extra special when someone has taken the time to cook/bake and wrap something especially for you.
This year I have tried new treats: Orangettes. They are candied orange peels dipped in dark chocolate. I asked a few people to try them to ensure I got the recipe right… and it seems that another way to describe them would be “posh Terry’s chocolate orange” ;-))) Personally once I have started eating them I struggle to stop, that says it all…
I made them with the boys for their teachers’ and our neighbours and they went down a treat! You need to prepare them in advance but this is a super easy recipe with a wow effect, give it a try!
- 600 grams organic oranges
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt
- 400 grams granulated sugar
- 1 litre + 2 litres + 2 litres + 2 litres + 6 centilitres water
- Incise your first orange from pole to pole into quarters without cutting in the flesh and peel off the four pieces of skin. Cut off the very top and bottom from each piece of skin and cut into strips. Repeat with the other oranges.
- Put all your orange peel strips in a bowl of water (1 litre) with 1 teaspoon of coarse salt. Allow to rest for 24 hours.
- Strain out the orange peel strips. Add them to a saucepan with 2 litres water and 2 teaspoons coarse salt and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Strain out the orange peel strips. Add them to a saucepan with 2 litres unsalted water and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain out the orange peel strips. Add them to a saucepan with 2 litres unsalted water and bring to a boil for 15 minutes. Strain out the orange peel strips.
- In a saucepan, combine 400 grams granulated sugar and 6 centilitres water, bring to a gentle boil. Once small bubbles start moving up to the surface add the orange peel strips. They should be just covered by the water/sugar mix. Allow to cook gently for 30-40 minutes (it should not caramelise). Remove the orange peel strips and place them on a grid to dry for 24 hours.
Besides, organic baking kit can make original Christmas gifts for your loved ones. Check-out Croque-Maman e-boutique “For grown-ups” section to discover all the ones available.